PC is an ideal material well known and widely used in the industry like diffuser extrusion for its versatile characteristics,eco-friendly processing and recyclability.
Comprising a unique set of chemical and physical properties makes it suitable over glass,PMMA and PE.
So let’s discuss PC properties for led lighting diffuser in detail:
- Toughness and High Impact Strength – Polycarbonate has high strength making it resistant to impact and fracture, and further providing safety and comfort in applications that demand high reliability and performance. The polymer has density 1.2 – 1.22 g/cm3), maintains toughness upto 140°C and down to -20°C. Also, PCs are virtually unbreakable.
- Transmittance – PC diffuser is an extremely clear plastic that can transmit over 90% of light as good as glass. Polycarbonate sheets are available in a wide range of shades that can be customized depending on an end-user application.
- Lightweight – This feature allows virtually unlimited possibilities to OEMs to design as compared with glass. The property also allows to increase efficiency, make installation process easier and reduce overall transportation costs.
- Protection from UV Radiations – Polycarbonates can be designed to block ultraviolet radiation and provide 100% protection from harmful UV rays.
- Optical Nature - For having amorphous structure, PC offers excellent optical properties. The refractive index of clear polycarbonate is 1.584.
- Chemical Resistance – Polycarbonate exhibits good chemical resistance against diluted acids, aliphatic hydrocarbons and alcohols; moderate chemical resistance against oils and greases. PC is readily attacked by diluted alkalis, aromatic and halogenated hydrocarbons. Manufacturers recommend to clean PC sheets with certain cleaning agents which do not affect its chemical nature. It is sensitive to abrasive alkaline cleaners.
- Heat Resistance - Offering good heat resistance, Polycarbonates are thermally stable up to 135°C. Further heat resistance can be improved by adding flame retardants without impacting material properties.
Post time: Jul-24-2020